Test Prep Tips from a Student’s Experience
In 2015 and after the CS-A exam, one of Gina’s students sent this nice test prep synopsis of how she prepared for the exam. It is worth sharing with any CS-A student and includes links and downloadable files (where possible). An by the way, this student made a 5 — we applaud her effort and coding expertise!
- Barron’s book – good content review throughout the course. A bit too wordy for a re-read at the end of the course. I thought the multiple choice were harder than the real thing. This might be good for some people, but the harder questions just made me frustrated.
- For on the go review, I found this helpful – https://goo.gl/RVzlE4
- Course description from College Board – I worked through the multiple choice 10 at a time. I’d check my answers before moving on to the next questions, so I wouldn’t keep making the same mistake.
- I found a review PowerPoint online AP-Computer-Science-A-Exam-Review that was helpful (it’s the one with Pokemon in the corner).
- Basically I’d recommend doing strong review during the course and quick review at the end. After that practice, practice (but only real AP tests if possible).
This is a grid of topics for prior year Free Response questions and can guide students to study problems by topic while learning these concepts in your classroom. Integrate FR review within your units of instruction as a teaching strategy.
CS-A Released Free Response by Category
Downloadable Grid CS-A FR Exam Questions by Category